Monday 19 August 2013

A Weekend around the Capital


A bit lost at London Bridge
I spent my weekend wandering around what felt like quite a lot of London; After going out on Friday night and spending most of Saturday hungover with my friend Ed in Watford, I made my way across to another pal Hannah who lives near Greenwich. A combination of part of the northern line being closed and my ineptitude with anything that involves a sense of direction got me a bit lost, but central London does look quite pretty at night time and it was actually quite funny working out where to go. I eventually got there (despite going too far on the 422 bus), and on Sunday Hannah took me up to Shoreditch for cocktails and shopping.
Cocktails at the Drunken Monkey 

We went first to a bar called the Drunken Monkey, which does half price cocktails all day Sunday and were some of the nicest i've ever had. If you ever go, i'd recommend the Strawberry Lemonade and Pigeon Rumba.


Next we walked over to Brick Lane, and like tru indie galZ we hit all the vintage shops and markets. It's an absolute treasure trove for good vintage garments and one off pieces; I find the disorder of some vintage stores quite annoying and I lose patience with finding the hidden gems (I also find some of it rather overpriced...) but a couple of places were really reasonable and I managed to pick up a great floral print shirt for £5! Hannah also got a couple of great shirts from an underground vintage market which I think were no more than £15 each.


Slightly pokey changing 'room' in the underground market
I also picked up some desert boots, which i've been after for a while. These were real suede and only £19, only made better by the fact they were sold to me by three hilarious cockney geezers, one of whom told me my shirt did nothing for me because it detracted from my 'piercing blue eyes' - apprentice worthy sales charm!


And finally, probably the funniest thing I saw all weekend (apart from a drunk woman in Watford who was talking to her flip flop...) - won't be stealing from Brick Lane market stalls!!

Perhaps a bit extreme...

-PB

No comments:

Post a Comment